Monday, May 26, 2008

Fire!

This morning around 6 I get this sms from my friend, saying "Hot News! Our house nearly burnt"
I read it through with one eye still shut and went right back to sleep. My friend really does have tendecy to exaggerate sometimes. Besides she sounded excited rather than alarmed.

So after finally getting up around seven, I stopped by her place on the way to work. What I saw astounded me. Right in front of her house were this huge pile of ashes that used to be four motorcycles. The outside wall were blackened with soot. After shutting my mouth I went inside to find my friend.

Turned out someone set fire to those motorcycles (they belonged to a neighbor of theirs), the fire then in turn spread over to the outer wall of the house and nearly blocked the entrance. My friend told me that she and her family were trapped inside and had no way of getting out of the house. I knew the house well and she was right. The only exit is through the front door, there were no other doors or windows. She later told me her younger bro had run out with bucket of water and had tried to put out the fire by himself. According to her non of the neighbors had tried to help. She said they all just stood around gaping.

Thankfully at least no one was hurt in the incident.

2 comments:

Bakhabaru said...

It surprised you that no one tried to help? This is Male'. Interested by-standing is practically a national pastime. They'd probably sms all their friends to come and watch the free show.

Afu Latheef said...

thats what maldivians do best you know. they stand around gaping. these days they whip out their fancy phones and take photos and videos and whatever, that will prolly end up on facebook later. sigh.