Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Gloaming - Part 3

...Continued

The Gloaming

I started to slowly tread into the water. I didn’t know I was being brave or stupid. We half walked, half paddled to the other island. And there we stood trembling with cold and fear. But the creatures didn’t follow us to this island. The curse was within our island only.

I didn’t think I could sleep that night but somehow we did. And when we awoke to the sounds of crows, of birds, I immediately knew that we were safe on this island. I woke my sister up and together we crept towards the beach.

All was still and quiet on our island. Not a sound came from it. It was silent and eerie. Maybe I was right last night. Maybe our island was cursed. Maybe someone wanted blood for something someone did. Oh maybe it was us all along. Maybe someone within the village brought it on, someone who has done some unspeakable crime against nature.

We stayed on our small island for three whole days before hunger and thirst took its toll on us. At first I thought someone sailing nearby would see us and rescue us but to no avail. And by the end of the third I made up my mind. I felt we had no choice. While huddled together to sleep under the moonlight I told my sister my idea. My sister protested as I had expected. But I asked her what were to do. We’d surely starve to death if we weren’t rescued soon. And that seemed a bleak hope. Finally after much arguing we agreed to go but only during the daytime, and to leave before nightfall.

The next day we waited by the beach waiting for the low tide to come, watching with apprehension at the quiet island that used to be our home.

When low tide arrived at nearly noon we walked slowly, hesitantly towards it. I knew the risk. I knew we can’t stay long. We would have to leave as soon as we can find some food and water. If we missed the low tide then we would have to wait for it after sunset. And that is something neither of us wanted to contemplate for even a second.

Suddenly a movement beyond the trees caught our attention. I took my sister’s hand, both of us too afraid to go on further. There was something there. My sister began to whisper that we should head back. But I was too afraid to even move.

Where ‘they’ waiting for us? Was it a trap?

The trees moved again and out came a small boy. He was smiling and beckoned us to come out of the water.

I was shocked. What was going on here? I recognized the boy as one of my neighbors. My sister tightened her hold on my hand. I sensed that she felt as confused as me.

Again there was a movement behind him and out came an older man. He too was my neighbor. In fact, it was the boy’s father. The man called out this time, demanding what we were doing out in the ocean alone.

I felt my sister move. I couldn’t believe it. She was heading towards them. I held her back and asked whether she has gone mad?

She turned to me and said that maybe ‘they’ were gone. Maybe these people survived… just like us. I didn’t like it but I also didn’t like the idea of starving to death and I definitely wasn’t going to let my sister go to that island alone so I went alone with her.

We hesitantly approached them. But they smiled as if amused at how frightened we were.

The man asked what happened and why we were so afraid but I only shook my head and this only made the man more concerned. Silently they led us back into the village. I steeled myself expecting a blood soaked empty village but the scene that met us made me draw in a sharp breath.

....Continued

3 comments:

Myst said...

Should have just uploaded the whole story this time. You're dragging it... hehehe

paperclippenny said...

@Myst it's tooo looooooong

hucein0110 said...

its good though