Sunday, July 27, 2008

Face Veil, Pitchforks and Emotional Blackmail

A couple of weeks back I got a call from a cousin of mine whom I haven't seen in a very long time. Probably 5 years now. Well she got married at an extremely young age, has a bunch of kids now and lives in Vaikaradhoo (my mom's island).

One thing I can say about my cousin is she loves a good laugh. She never tends to take things too seriously. Well all this was way back then.

Anyway she had finally gotten my number and rang me up one night and decided to catch up.

(After all the hello's, how are you's, ho hum hums...)
Cousin: So when are you going to visit?

Me: Maybe later this year when I take holiday.

Cousin: Do you wear the buruga?

Me: No hehehehe

Cousin: Really? Then how are going to come here? Everyone here wears it. I wear Moonu Buruga now.

Me: (bit shocked) Really. Why do u wear that?

Cousin: My husband told me to

Me: Oh i see. I thought you should wear these things after making the decision by yourself. Not cause someone told you to.

Cousin: Anyway are you married now?

Me: hehehe no

Cousin: Why not? You must be 20 by now

Me: 25

Cousin: (laughs really loudly) My goodness! You're getting old. You should get married before you turn into a grandma.

Me: I'm young! hehehehe I'm not old yet.

(By this time my cousin was basically rolling around on the floor i suppose, coz she was laughing so hard and i was beginning to sound whiny) :P

The next day my cousin sends me a pic of her through my mom's phone. Lo and behold stood was my cousin against a blue wall, face veil and all. A second later she calls again.

Cousin: Well? Waddaya think?

Me: I barely recognized you

Cousin: (deadpan tone) You didn't???? Why not??

Heehehe it was nice hearing from her after all a long time. And I can see her humor hasn't changed much.

Now I'm wondering whether I should visit the island. It would be an experience I suppose. Either the local folks will drive me mad or they'll chase me off the island with pitch forks. My cousin's husband helpfully said he has a speed launch ready in case...

Anyway I was also wondering about Nahula's new movie Yousuf. According to my friend, all the shows were fully booked. I haven't seen it but I've seen a bit of the trailer. So my question is...

Nahula's Yousuf:

A) A work of art

B) Emotional Blackmail

19 comments:

AzMyst said...

To answer your question: Neither, it's a stinking, steaming pile of crap. Just like all her other so-called movies.

aesha said...

sum ppl are realy conservative.

paperclippenny said...

@azmyst: i thought you fell asleep

@aesha: yes. some people are conservative hehehe

AzMyst said...

Yes, I did. Which just proves how bad it was. But that's beside the point coz it's apparently making more money than The Dark Knight. I heard they were having full shows still. That's a record in Male', right?

Xiham said...

I like the word "gudho gudho".

paperclippenny said...

@xiham: eh?

Anonymous said...

my best friend went to the show last night.her comments were along the lines of "awesome!" and "couldnt stop crying"

i remain in doubt.

paperclippenny said...

@bulhaa: wow!! 0_0 That nahula is a mean bully

kaiza shozey said...

well, maldivians cant seem to get enough of crying to emotional love stories so i thought it was one of those movies. no idea. and i think u should go visit ur cousin. hopefully ull write a post abt it which i think is gonna be interesting. hehe

in my opinion if ur gonna wear the veil or cover ur face or whatever atleast be proud of it instead of trying to sound as if ur blaming someone else for that....especially ur husband.

paperclippenny said...

@kaiza shozey: yea if i visited it would definitely be an experience. i'd have to take back-up along with me though.

As for the veil, it's all a matter of opinion but i disapprove if people wear it just for the sake of it.

As far as i can see a piece of clothing on your head doesn't change who you are.

f i Я a s said...

i like the first part, i like the way you were able to present it without making it sound too judgmental...

about the movie... i think ppl are attending in hoards just to avoid the feeling of being left out... at least that's why a couple of my aunts sacrificed a good night's sleep and went to Olympus...

paperclippenny said...

@f i Я a s: thanx again. I guess the movie is the 'in' thing huh

Uzain said...

Well you know, the islands are more religious etc... than Male'...

Yaamyn said...

Well..

If at any point of your life, you decide to finally give in and become Arab...

Please do research a lot!

And then REJECT IT! :p

Anyways, last time I went to Male', I saw what looked like a large scale women's mass protest on Majeedhee magu.. turned out it was this movie you're talking about..

Hmm.....

paperclippenny said...

mass protest kekekeeekekek

Unknown said...

enjoyed the post.

paperclippenny said...

@Blueminies: thanx :)

shweetikle said...

defnitely emotional blackmail. yet varah salhi ingey :P

oh and btw, tell me wat happens wen u go to that island..i think ul come back wearing that veil :P
hehe..i dun understand y they believe in so much..hama nujehey kanthakuga hifaa dhamaa iru =\

paperclippenny said...

@shweeeeet! Me wear the veil dho....

hmmmmm i'd like to quote my wonderful friend, Dhona on this, "Me wearing the veil is one of the signs of apocalypse." ...... still sounds probable don't it :)